Saturday, February 25

Fin de semana.

It’s been a while since we spent a weekend over at mom’s house. It’s ALWAYS a full house there, for as long as I could remember. I went to my first digital photography 101 class this past Saturday (more about that later), & afterwards, headed to Ita Carmen’s with Amelie & a bag full of pajamas, mint chocolate chips & a handmade lens created out of cardboard & a can. Weekends like this are usually very chill. We put on out pajamas & stay up late, even the little ones. We ordered a ½ spinach with ricotta, ½ Hawaiian pizza. We played Loteria. We put on clay facial masks. We made homemade mint thins melting the chocolate chips & dipping Ritz crackers in it. We messed around with the iPad, bopping our heads to Gotye & swooned over the new case Emi & I got for it. We tried out the handmade lens my photography teacher, Matt, made for class & let me keep so that I could show Ada. She was too distracted with her computer games to really check it out, though. Amelie was her silly self, making a mess all over with toys & fighting with my sister’s pup, Dexter, who loves to follow her around when she has food.










The next morning, we ate carnitas & eggs, drank coffee & ate pan dulce, chatted a while with the family at the kitchen table. The kids ran around all over the place, with choo-choo trains & plush pandas. We finally got dressed in the afternoon & headed for some quick shopping with my sister. The kids took their afternoon nap during that time & Ita Carmen babysat, so it was nice to have the time to ourselves. It’s been very busy lately, so it was so sweet to have a weekend like this. My mom’s home holds many unforgettable treasures.

Growing up with siblings ranging from ages 21 to newborn, there was always a lot going on. Home was loud, alive & busy. Family life holds memories of lots of food, our play rooms, summers on bikes, and winters in the snow. We had a dining room table full of arts & crafts we worked on with mom, records & acoustic guitar serenades that were played at random hours by dad, and I was guilty of snooping into my brother’s Ralph’s cd collection many times. Sometimes he would get angry, but mostly I was lucky to have him let me keep some of the albums I really liked. Prince, Madonna, Radiohead blasted from inside my bedroom.

As we got older & my brothers moved out to school or began their family, there was a bit of distance due to teenage years & outside influences. But mom’s house was the place where all our friends came to hang out. The addition of grandkids, the next generation, was the start of new life at Grandma’s. These days, there are many birthday parties, & though we are all in different points of our lives, the times when we all come together at Mom’s is enjoyed very much. Mom’s house will forever remain loud, alive & busy.

No comments: