Sunday, February 17

domingo.






This morning, I dedicate some time to my Abuela Natividad, who recently passed away. She was 92 years old, & the last time I saw her was 10 years ago. I was 17, & I had a red 12-inch mohawk. Abuela still had her sight back then, so that was the last image she had of me. We talked over the phone a handful of times throughout the years, but her memory began to fade, & at some points, I wasn't sure she remembered who I was. She always sent us her blessing, though. 

She left Mother Earth peacefully. That's a comfort to the entire family that took care of her in many ways during these last few years. It feels nice to know she's finally at peace, reunited with my Abuelo Felix. My mother mentions that during her wake, a white butterfly entered the house, fluttering around the family and the entrance, landing on Abuela's casket. It rested for a second, and took it's time flying back outside again, as if taking in the moment, & perhaps assuring the family that everything was alright. Abuela Natividad is happy. 

The connections of mother & child are reflected to me this bright Sunday morning. I place the pink carnations Ada gave me on Valentine's next to Abuela's picture. We light a votive candle at night. Her picture sits on our book shelf in the living room along with a picture of my mother & me when I was 3, and Ada's 3rd grade school picture. Seeing these images together makes the bond more evident & stronger. The Love grows stronger. We get closer, and moments with family are cherished. Generations of women together across of 2 feet of birchwood. We are one & the same in many ways. We each have our own story, woven together. Natividad, Maria Del Carmen, Rosalia, Maria De La Luz, Ada, Amelie.


No comments: